15 March 2011

Part XIII- Getting the Boot

I feel like for the next few months nothing grand happened. We were both taking some heavy class loads, so we kept busy studying. I'm proud to say that only some of my classes only suffered a little bit! Maybe a little more than a little bit. Okay, we won't go there. 

I continued to work as a secretary for one of my Biology professors.  A job that is still one of my favorites today.  We got payed every other week. We could have a check cut for us, or get it in cash. Normally, I got a check and then took it to the bank. It kept me from spending it from Point A to Point B.  For some reason, on this particular pay day, I decide to get it in cash. It wasn't much, a couple hundred dollars. And instead of getting hundred dollar bills, I got twenties and tens. That kind of makes for a wad of cash. 

Each night at my apartment complex it was a mad rush to get girlfriends home. There would be lines of cars waiting and parking, idling or illegally parking, so guys could get the girls home before curfew. It was February and very cold. A gentleman never makes a lady walk with frozen nose hairs.

Around Rexburg that year, their had been great excitement and rage about the towing companies. They seemed to be going overboard on towing people. Sometimes towing cars that were running,  etc, etc, things like that.

Well, on a particular evening, Jake pulled up, right in front of my apartment, leaving the car running.  In the time it took to walk the twenty feet to the stairwell, walk up a flight of stairs, give me a series of snuggles, it was about two minutes. As I was starting to walk in the door, we heard a noise. It was a sort of clinking, clanking, metal grinding on metal, noise. What's that guy doing to your car? My first thought was that he was slashing Jake's tires, or something ludicrous like that. As he stood up and walked away, we saw what he was doing to his car.  Jake had been booted.

I would just like to point out that along with Jake, there were at least six other cars in the parking lot that were idling or parked that were not permitted to be so.  As we stood there, stunned, we looked around at people  as they were coming and going. We wondered what caused them to focus their booting energy on Jake and not the others. I hate being the example.

Jake went to assess the situation. He came back with a phone number for the company to come and de-boot him.  When he called them, he got the crack-news of how much it was going to cost him to get the boot off. It seems like it was at least fifty bucks. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but they would only take cash. Luckily, that day I had just gotten a wad of cash.  Stupid stupid boot.


To Be Continued...

I added a section on the sidebar with links to all of the previous posts in this series.

No comments: