19 April 2010

Year Seven

Jake and I celebrated our seven year anniversary a couple of weeks early. So we headed down to Utah. We took the back roads through Montpelier and Bear Lake. It was a beautiful drive down. We loved the little town of Montpelier. And neither one of us had ever been to Bear Lake, so we wanted to go sneak a peak.

Unfortunately, all the gates were still closed, so this is as close as we got. It was the prettiest blue green color I've ever seen!

We went through the Logan Canyon, and it was really cool. Except for the windy roads, they made me a little car sick. We got stuck in a traffic jam for about an hour. We finally made it through as we were both about to lose it. We got to our hotel and checked in. We splurged, and actually with our online deal, we got a decent deal at the Hampton for one night. It was a step or two (or six) above the Super 8 we'd been staying in in Jackson. After freshening up at the hotel, we went to the the Tulip Gardens at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi where we were staying. They were my choice, and I thought they were pretty cool. Huge! Not very many of the tulips were open yet, but here are a few of the ones that were:



A staircase with a fountain down it, lined with tulips.



A view from the top, or the back?



More flowers. There were tons of waterfalls and rocks and little gardens everywhere.


We left there and went to dinner at Ruby River. Have I mentioned that it is my favorite restaurant? So good! They gave us a free dessert because it was our anniversary. Oh my, the best steak ever! We stopped at Target for a couple things then called it a night!

The next day we got up and had the best waffle for breakfast. It was yummy! Then we headed to Cabela's. We mostly just go to go and say we went. I think the giant fish there are disgusting, and I hate it when they feed them, because it's live bait. Jake did find a cool hat, and I found the fruit rollup trays for our dehydrator. Then we hit the Dinosaur Museum there at Thanksgiving Point, Jake's choice. It was pretty impressive. The skeletons were huge. Plus, we got there right as it opened so there was NOBODY there! Nice to have it pretty much to ourselves. We didn't have to worry about disturbing others with our smart allecky comments. Here is Jake standing in front of Megaladon, the giant prehistoric shark.


For lunch we hit In N Out for the best burger ever. I don't know what they do to their burgers, but I could eat them every day for pretty much forever! We rounded out our trip with another traffic jam, and a stop at Bear River Bird Refuge.

The biggest thing that came from this weekend is that, I decided I still don't like Utah. There were far too many people, and it was hot, 80 degrees. I was pretty sweaty a few times. I don't like that. And there's so many people! When we got home to Alpine, I realized exactly how much I like it here and how much I appreciate the ruralness where we are! Today, the high is in the mid 50's, and I'm loving it. The snow is just about gone, and the ice at Palisades is really starting to melt and break up. I'm so excited for summer!





3 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Looks like you guys had a great getaway. That is so awesome that you have been married for seven years. Time flies by so fast. I still remember seeing you in the library at college when you showed me your engagement ring and then I remember going to your reception. Sometimes it still seems like not that long ago. Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

Brittany Celeste said...

I'm glad you had a nice time. Congrats on your upcoming 7th! Not loving the 80s; are you crazy? That's okay I still want to be your friend:)

Jessica said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe that you were at Thanksgiving Point and Cabelas. I live about one mile due east from both. But, seeing as it was your anniversary trip, I'll forgive you.