14 May 2010

The Accident

Well, my mom and Gordon were in a car accident last weekend. I've been waiting to tell the story, because I was hoping that it would come out on the news, because it was such a crazy story. Well, after sending them the tip, it has yet to be on the news. So I'm going to share it with you. Because it is SO crazy!

My mom and Gordon had gone into Idaho Falls for breakfast last Saturday morning. When they were about three miles from home, they turned a corner. About 300 yards down the road, a truck turned onto the road behind them. As they were going my mom commented that the person driving the truck must have been drunk, because it was swerving all over the road. A bit later, Gordon asked my mom if she was slowing down or if the truck had sped up. She hadn't slowed down.

Well, they came to a stop sign, stopped, and were headed home, about 1.5 miles away now. My mom looked and saw the truck go sailing through the stop sign they had just stopped at. As they approached the house, she turned her blinker on to turn left. Well, thinking that he might try to pass them, she pulled across the street in front of the neighbor's driveway to wait for him to go by.

Well, he didn't go by. He pulled up next to them, stopped and looked at them. Well, the look he gave them scared my mom half to death, so she took off away from him. She turned a corner headed in the opposite direction. He followed her. Which scared her more because, as it turns out, she knew where he lived. Anyway, they're basically running from this guy. Well, he rear ends them. And hard! Into a potato field. Shocked and stunned, he rams them again before they can get their wits about them.

Terrified for their lives, literally, she pulls out of the field and heads back down the road from the direction they came from. Well, he's following them, going fast. My mom's laying on the horn trying to get people's attention. She pulls into the neighbor's house, freaked out, sobbing and honking. Well, the guy comes behind them and rams them again into the neighbor's house! Oh my gosh, right?!! Well, the neighbor comes out to see what was going on, and the guy just drives away home.

911 was called and their truck was taken away, totaled. When the police go to his house they find him drunk passed out in the middle of the floor. The guy has always been a menace to the neighborhood. He has a long history of drug, alcohol and weapons violence. So my 'rents were very lucky he didn't pull out a gun or something. When the police asked him, he said he didn't remember doing any of this, or any idea who they were. But his truck looked just as bad as theirs did.

I can't even believe that some psycho would try to kill these innocent people! He is being charge with double attempted manslaughter, drunk driving, and a long list of other things. So everyone cross your fingers that he gets many, many years! My parents are okay. They didn't have any physical injuries, but as you can imagine, the mental trauma will be with them for a long time.

I'm so glad they weren't hurt worse!

5 comments:

cressfamily said...

Holy Freak that is so scary. Glad to hear that they are Okay. That guy needs to be put away.

Kira said...

Unbelievable! Oh man, that would be so scary - I am so glad that they are ok.

Johnson Family said...

One thing Jordan hates almost more than anything is drunk drivers. He said that if he pulls over someone that is drunk, it doesn't hurt his feelings one bit to hand cuff them and haul them to jail. He said that one time a drunk mom was driving with a baby and a 2 or 3 year old and she ran into a parked car. Scared about being picked up she took her kids and ran down the road. She didn't make it far as you can guess and they took her kids to her mom's house after she had been arrested. It makes me sick. Tell your parents I'm sorry that happened. How scary!!!

The WIlloughby Family said...

OH MY HECK!!! I would die freaking out!! That is so scary. They are lucky to be alive!! I will keep you in my prayers, I am glad they are okay!

Christina said...

That is nuts! I don't know what I would've done... I'm glad they're ok.