10 June 2008

Black Tongue

So yesterday morning, I was going about my business. I packed Jake's lunch, showered, put on my face, and brushed my teeth. Nothing unusual for me, a normal routine! As I spit my toothpaste/slobbers out, I noticed something very different. It was BLACK! Oh my gosh, I opened my mouth, and my tongue was black!! Not just sucked on a purple popsicle black, but midnight black. What is going on here? I scrubbed again with my toothbrush, able to get most of whatever it was off. Freaky! I mentioned this to Jake later in the evening. We discussed what it could be. I mentioned I woke up with a hurting tummy in the night and had taken a couple of PEPTO tablets. But that's the only thing. That couldn't possibly be it. He told me I should google it. So I did I found all sorts of people who had suffered the same ailment. Here's what I found:



Pepto-Bismol has been known to cause one’s tongue and stool to turn black. This form of “black tongue”, however, is a result of the separation of bismuth from salicylate, forming bismuth trisulfide (Bi2S3) in combination with the sulfur found in saliva.



I also found this pepto page with all sorts of weird information. I tried to find a picture to share with you all, but couldn't. I know you're all sad.

Don't you think they should put that on the package?

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

That is crazy! I would have never guessed that it would cause your mouth to go black. They should put that on the package. I'm curious to see the statistics on how often that happens to people. How are you guys doing anyway? How is your job?