14 June 2010

Jake's Birthday Cake

Jake had his birthday on Friday. The big 3-0-! Last year we made this cake and he requested it again because it is SO good! So here is how you do it. Sometimes its called a poke cake, but I found it googled under Orange Crush Cake. So good!

Start with a regular white cake, baked as instructed. Last year I made it into a bundt cake, but went regular rectangle this year.

As soon as it comes out of the oven I prepare the jello mixture. I use a small box.

Prepare as directed with the boiling water. But instead of the cold water, add this: (I think we actually used Sunkist because we couldn't find Crush) Then poke LOTS of holes into your cake. There can't be too many. Unless your massacre your cake. That would be bad. Pour your jello mixture all over your cake. It will look like too much, but its not. It will seem like it's going to be mushy and gross. But it's not. It's going to be delicious!

Cover it and put it in the fridge for several hours so everything can set up. Prepare your pudding as directed. I've tried it with store brand pudding, but it just doesn't set up as good as Jello does. So fork over the extra forty cents and get the real stuff. Let it set up completely. I use a small box.

Then fold in half of one of these:

I forgot to take pictures of it because it was so good, and we could hardly wait to rip into it. But here is a googled image of how delicious it looks when it is done:


We love this cake! We have done it in strawberry as well, and its yummy! If you don't have the soda to put into it, the full jello recipe is still good. Sometimes I don't like frosting on cake, just because it's so rich. But this topping is so light and I really could just eat an entire bowl of it! You can use any kind of cake, and any kind of jello, and any kind of pudding and it would be yummy. Try it! I promise you won't be disappointed!

PS- Here is the recipe I used:

1 c. Orange Crush soda
1 sm. pkg. orange Jello
1 sm. pkg. vanilla instant pudding
1 orange cake mix
1 (4 oz.) carton Cool Whip
Bake cake as directed on the package in 9"x13" pan. As soon as it is out of the oven, poke holes in it with a fork and pour over the following: 1 package orange Jello dissolved in 1 cup boiling water, add 1 cup Orange Crush soda, and stir well. Chill 9"x13" pan for 1 hour. Mix pudding as directed on package. Fold in the Cool Whip and frost the chilled cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. Keep covered and serve at your next Bronco game! Serves 12.





3 comments:

cressfamily said...

Sounds super yummy. I've done this before but have not used the soda and pudding for the top. I will remember for the next time.

Boyters said...

so yummy!! I made one once...but never tried the soda...I will have to next time to make it better.

Johnson Family said...

Yum! That is all I have to say. :)