06 August 2010

Kindergarten

It was 1987 and I was four/five years old and just going into Kindergarten.

Look how cute I was? Notice my pin? It's Strawberry Shortcake, my all time favorite. And I could never pull that hair off today. I always wanted to have long hair because my cousin Lorilee always had long hair and no bangs. I remember when it was long enough that I could put it in my mouth. I was so excited! I'm sure my mother was less than thrilled.


That summer was filled with playing in the sandbox, climbing trees, playing in our "forest" and playing hours and hours of hotwheels, legos, and army guys. Chris was older so did we ever get to play Barbies or house? Yeah, right! Truth be told, I remember having so much fun!

There was a pasture across the street from our house. Chris and I used to go and play in the mud to help us cool off. Like pigs. Not really, but we would turn the water to the horse trough on a trickle and as the water would over flow, we would build lakes and dams and rivers to whatever our ultimate goal was. We used to do the same thing in the garden before and after it was planted, and also in the sandbox. Watch out for the kitty logs! My mom would always get after us because we always came home so disgustingly filthy. I can remember Chris "helping" me get clean with the hose. A loving brother no doubt!

I think it was around this time when my mom bought a horse. Goldie. As young as I was, I still remember how cranky she was. She bucked Chris and my mom both off several times. We would ride her in our backyard. One time she went tearing through our garage with my mom riding her and my mom knocked into everything on the way out including the cars and camper. One time my mom was feeding our neighbor's horse carrots when he bit her finger almost off. Maybe these are the reasons I don't like horses... Anyway. My mom was not the master horseman, so instead of buying hay for Goldie to eat she bought a couple tons of straw. Horses don't eat straw. Oops. I think we only had her the one summer before my mom sold her. And we were stuck with so much straw. Chris and I made all sorts of forts in it. I remember setting up ramps when it snowed so we could slide on it.

Fond memories of playing outside from sun-up to sun-down.


4 comments:

Matt and Jessie said...

I found your blog! Yay! How are things going for you? Love the throwback photo! You are too cute!! I too am a Strawberry Shortcake fan!

Brittany Celeste said...

Hey there old Friend! Thanks for sharing these fun stories with us. It's cool to hear how other's childhoods were. I am so glad that you are loving where you are! Some of your recipes sound interesting; been doing a lot of cooking? Happy Birthday coming up!!!Wow 28; what an old fart! J/K

Christina said...

That is hilarious! It looks just like you, and the straw thing cracks me up.

anna said...

Oh I remember that little girl and oh was she was such a great friend. Do you have any pics of the merry miss shirts that we made. Now there are some pictures to laugh at!!