04 September 2010

4th Grade

I'm pretty much embarrassed to show you any more pictures of me. From here till high school seemed to be my awkward years. Actually, I may still be in them...

I was awkward.

I wasn't really girly.

I liked to run around, getting muddy.

I liked to ride my bike through giant puddles, climb trees and generally not be lady like in the least.

I wonder if I was a big disappointment to my mother, whom I'm sure upon hearing she had had a little girl, instantly looked forward to bows, dresses, tea parties and a myriad of other feminine things.

I did play with Barbies.

I was a Girl Scout.

This year was approximately year five out of 14 years of dance classes I would take. I'm sure you are all simply shocked, because as you know, I have the grace of a drunken dock worker.

I was on year five of piano lessons.

I hated having my hair done. I'm sure I would have rather have had teeth pulled instead. This picture, I'm sure, was the rare occasion. Oh, the humanity....


There was an old gravel pit near our house that Chris and I and the other neighborhood kids used to go sledding on. It was about a half mile up the canal, then you had to hike over where the trucks used to go, but part of it had collapsed. There was a section that you only went down if you were the bravest, or craziest of all the kids. It had a sizable bump in it that really sent you flying. Most of the time, you would end up in the fence when you went this way, but it was awesome to go so fast. We were always careful to only walk up on the sides so we wouldn't get foot prints in the runs. It was always funnest when the snow was fresh, so the powder would fly in your face. When it was icy, it was almost scary.

In the summer, we would ride our bikes on these trails. Holy cow, looking back, I don't know how I did that. I was a lot braver then than I am now. And possibly didn't understand that I could break my neck, or worse. We would also spend a lot of time in our neighbor's pasture. We became skilled at missing the manure! They had barns and chicken coops and fences to play around.

I'm sure my mother didn't know how much time we spent around all of those old rusty nails. Or that I used to draw on the walls under the stairs, or that I used to sneak the cat back inside after they went to bed. Of that I would stay up way late with my flashlight under my blankets reading The Babysitters Club.

Mom's are pretty smart. She probably knew.

1 comment:

Kira said...

She totally knew. And I really love reading your memories. They sound a lot like some of mine...probably because I'm still in my awkward phase...ha ha I think you are the coolest!