Well, as previously mentioned, I'm such a wuss. I get car sick SO easy (I'm still recovering from a drive three hours ago), I'm scared of bears and moose in the mountains, and I get light headed REALLY easy! Which leads me to my bit on the fifth grade.
You may have noticed that sometime between fourth and fifth grade photos, I got my ears pierced. I had been anticipating this day for a really long time. My mom finally gave told me we could go get them done. We went to Claire's in the mall and I picked out the prettiest ones that they had. They put me up in the chair, and I know I was getting nervous. They were quick about it, but I do remember how bad it hurt. Like the earrings were just dangling by tiny little pieces of skin. I remember asking my mom if they were centered because it didn't feel like they were. Man they hurt. As we were leaving the store, I mentioned to my mom that I felt funny. The next thing I remember was waking up in the store, on the floor, with a cold rag. I had passed out in the middle of the mall and my mom literally had to drag me back inside the store. Nine year olds are getting big enough that you can't carry them anymore. I had pierced ears for several years, eventually letting them grow over because it made me sick to put new earrings in. In college I'd have to sit down in front of the hallway mirror, in the corner, just so when I started feeling gross, I could hide a little bit. Even then I felt like I had to pass out.
Other Times I Have Nearly Passed Out:
You may have noticed that sometime between fourth and fifth grade photos, I got my ears pierced. I had been anticipating this day for a really long time. My mom finally gave told me we could go get them done. We went to Claire's in the mall and I picked out the prettiest ones that they had. They put me up in the chair, and I know I was getting nervous. They were quick about it, but I do remember how bad it hurt. Like the earrings were just dangling by tiny little pieces of skin. I remember asking my mom if they were centered because it didn't feel like they were. Man they hurt. As we were leaving the store, I mentioned to my mom that I felt funny. The next thing I remember was waking up in the store, on the floor, with a cold rag. I had passed out in the middle of the mall and my mom literally had to drag me back inside the store. Nine year olds are getting big enough that you can't carry them anymore. I had pierced ears for several years, eventually letting them grow over because it made me sick to put new earrings in. In college I'd have to sit down in front of the hallway mirror, in the corner, just so when I started feeling gross, I could hide a little bit. Even then I felt like I had to pass out.Other Times I Have Nearly Passed Out:
- My brother worked as a dishwasher in a retirement home. One night we got a call he had sliced his fingers and was on his way to the hospital to get stitches. When we got there, I sat in the corner on a stool watching them stitch his fingers. I remember slumping down and my dad helping me stand up and walking me out of the room.
- When I moved into college, we got some of those big cinder blocks to put under my bed so that I could store stuff under them. As we were unloading them, my thumb got really squished between two of them. Oh my gosh it hurt so bad, I thought it was broken! The main pain went away, but my black nail continued to throb for several weeks. When I was home one weekend, my step-dad suggested we put a hole in the nail to relieve the blood pressure. I had heard of people who did this, and was all aboard because it hurt SO bad! Well, he got a drill bit, because they are sharp, warmed it up in a candle and started twisting it on my nail. I think that's the only time I have ever swore around an actual adult. The duress pushed me over the edge. My mom walked in on our little experiment just before I went out. I spent the next hour on the couch with a cold rag!
- When I was a sophomore in college, I roomed with Cami, one of my favorite roommates ever! One night she woke me up in the middle of the night crying. She said something about her tooth breaking off. I didn't completely understand what she was trying to say and started to laugh at her. Then she showed me the half of her front tooth that had broken off. I quickly had to leave because I was nigh unto on the floor. They didn't need two roommates to take care of that night.
- A good friend growing up had part of one of her fingers torn off playing a game. She used to have bone and parts of nail come out of it and she would have to pick at it a little bit. Enough said.
- When I had my wisdom teeth out, and I came out of whatever they use to put me under, I couldn't stand up because I was so faintly. Same thing happened when I was super young and had to have teeth pulled.
Times When I Should Have Passed Out, But Didn't:
- I was studying in my bedroom and I heard a huge crash come out of the kitchen, and my roommate Becky scream. I jumped up and ran to see what was going on. I met her and another on the way to the bathroom. She was sobbing and a ton of blood was coming out of her mouth. I rushed her over to the sink and started to run warm water. I told her to get down into the water and we could see what was the matter. She started rinsing out her mouth and started laughing! I was so confused for a minute and then realized that ketchup was involved and I had been duped.
- I was going to be watching our neighbor's kids while she went to the hospital to have her baby. Well, early in the morning, they got me and I went over. Long story short, I had a first hand showing of the birth of her baby on the kitchen floor. Looking back it was really cool, and at the time I thought it was cool. But shouldn't that really be something that should make me pass out?
- I got rear ended in my little GEO. I had always said if I got in an accident, it would kill me. That was my first thought when I saw the car getting really close in my rear view mirror. It smashed the seat into the back of my head, and I had huge goose eggs on the back of my head/neck. They put me on a stretcher and I had x-rays taken. Man it hurt. And yet, I was awake the entire time.
3 comments:
Impressive! I have passed out a few times myself, and agree with some of your should-haves...
Your stories are great!
That cracks me up!
I am wondering what happened to cause your roomate to break her tooth in the middle of the night.
Post a Comment