02 September 2008

Bird Watching

Yesterday, we celebrated Jake having a day off for Labor Day and went birding. We saw three new species that we hadn't seen before. This is a Virginia's Warbler. We didn't take this picture, but we took the other two. Isn't he cute?

We also saw a Red-Necked Phalarope. I know, he dosn't have a red neck, but ya know winter feathers. We were actually looking for his close cousin, Wilson Phalarope, but alas.
This is a Least Sandpiper. Don't ask me why he's least to his cousins, because I think he's pretty cool. He's only about four inches tall. And he has orange legs. Sexy.
I love to bird watch. It makes me appreciate God's earth and wonderful creations more and more each time we go. Heavenly Father has a good spirit about Him. In one of President Bednar's talks a while ago, he said that often Heavenly Father will bring things to us that bring us joy. Well this summer, with gas being so dang expensive we havn't been able to go birding as much as we would really like. So this summer He has sent the birds to us. This summer we have seen soooo many little birdies at our bird feeder and bath than we ever have before! And I am so thankful to Him because it has kept our spirits high this summer! Birds make me happy!






1 comment:

Sara said...

Very awesome! I have noticed a lot of birds this summer! They are so pretty! How awesome that Heavenly Father has sent birds our way for our enjoyment! Thanks for the reminder! I don't think I appreciate them as much as I should!