25 April 2011

The Best Frosting You Will Ever Taste

For Easter, I wanted to do something special, because it's a special day.  I found an awesome recipe for an awesome cake.  I tried it, but alas, my cake was too moist (who knew it was possible) and it fell to bits. So here is the back up plan.  


This lady is a genius when it comes to all things baking.  She has ideas for everything and the tastiest recipes.  And I feel as if I've hit a jackpot every time I go there. 

With the rose cake recipe came the recipe for the frosting.

I didn't have a big star tip. I swear I used to somewhere. So I used a small one and did many small roses instead of a few large ones. 

The only thing I would change is adding a little more cream. It wasn't quite as smooth as her picture showed. But it tasted every bit as yummy! (Oh and so healthy, too!)

Here is the recipe:

THE BEST BUTTERCREAM

2 cups shortening
8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
6 fluid ounces heavy cream
In a large bowl, cream shortening with mixer until fluffy.  Add confectioners sugar (2 cups at a time) until well blended.  If the frosting gets to thick at any time you can add some of your heavy cream.
Add salt, vanilla, and heavy cream and blend until combined, then blend on high until frosting is light and fluffy.  If you need to add additional cream you can. (up to 2 tablespoons)

2 comments:

Christina said...

Very pretty cake! Did you use the spray on coloring? or food coloring in your frosting? I love it! and it sounds yummy too!

Jenny said...

Thanks! I used the gel kind, or maybe it's called paste...The really thick kind. And it was yummy, too.