30 December 2010

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty pleasures are the little things that make our lives just a wee bit better. But they're things that we aren't supposed to like, or should maybe feel guilty for liking them. Here is a short list of my guilty pleasures.

In no particular order:


Graham Cracker Frosting SandwichesRemember these from when you were little? Well, I have found them again, and I can't put them down! I won't tell you how many I eat everyday. We'll just say it's less than a hundred, but more than two. My favorite is still the classic white frosting on a regular ol' graham. My goodness, it just doesn't get any better than that!


Hulu & Online TV
Can I just say that Hulu is a wonderful, wonderful thing? When I miss something, I just go there and skip most of the commercials. A lot of networks (SyFy, ABC, CBS, NBC ) all have entire episodes of show to watch. Some of them new and some old. CBS and NBC have a lot of older classic TV. The link to CBS is a link to MacGyver. Who didn't love that show?


Mary Tyler Moore

I grew up watching Nick@Nite. My favorite shows were always Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore. With Hulu, I've been watching these shows nonstop for a couple of months now. I play them while I make dinner, while I clean, while I bake and pretty much all of the time! You're gonna make it after all!


Snow Blowing(link)
I'm not sure how much this counts as a guilty pleasure. But I feel guilty about how much I love it. I find myself hoping for more snow just so I can go blow it off the driveway. I find myself wishing we'd bought that big house set twenty miles off the road so that I can snow blow all day long. I find myself trying to rationalize that the skiff of snow that just blew in is a sufficient amount of snow to need some sort of action taken against it. Good thing it's winter for eight months here!


DonutsI love donuts! Or is it doughnuts? Either way, I love them! I love them when they are custard filled. I love them when they are raspberry filled. I love them when they are powdered. I love them when they are glazed. I especially love them when they have sprinkles on them. Sprinkles beat out anything else. Luckily our local market doesn't believe in sprinkles, so that drastically reduces then number I consume. I don't like the maple ones or the ones with coconut or nuts on them or the kind that have lemon in them or the weird apple ones. I prefer a yeast donut over a cake donut. But I'm not going to say no to one! My perfect donut? Chocolate with autumn sprinkles filled with custard. Or maybe white iced... oh my... gotta go get one!


PorkchopMy pleasure with Porkchop is rarely returned in kind. He is a cranky, needy kitty that really has no consideration for others. There I said it. And now after saying that, I'll say this. I love him so much! When he wants treats more often than not, I'll give them to him. When he wants to drink out of the left sink in the master bathroom instead of out of a bowl like a normal kitty, I go in there, turn on the water, wait and watch just likes he likes. Then when he's done he usually swipes at me with his razor sharp claws, and I run away in fear. But when he wakes me up at 4:00 AM for his breakfast and he rubs his little sleepy nose all over me and purrs (which is really the only time he purrs), it's hard for me to say, "No, kitty. It's 4AM and I'm tired. Go eat your dry food and I'll feed you when I get up at a normal hour." Even if I tried that, he'd toot in my face or something. But I love to play with him and make him chase his mice. I love how he is waiting in the window when we get home. I love how he chases and eats the bugs so I don't have to. What a spoiled bugger.


Facebook
I know. Facebook is evil. But I can't help but love it! It's very addicting. Here's my argument. I am able to talk to friends and family that I literally haven't seen in 15 years! I've been able to "meet" their kids I probably will never see. I get to reminisce with them about the good ole days. I get to keep in touch with friends that we've moved away from. It's a great communication tool, since most people check it at least semi-regularly. Jake and I are planning a family reunion for June. How'd we get the word out? Facebook! We just created a handy-dandy event, made it private and invited the entire family, who are all on Facebook. It'll be easy to get the word out, get feedback etc. I love it! I've quit playing the addicting games and tried hard to quit the fan pages I'm part of. I'm working on that one.


Glitter Toes (link)(These are not my toes)
A few months ago our ward had a combined Relief Society/Young Women activity. Everybody got together and we painted our toenails and then we added sparkles! They're so pretty! It's not the fancy salon type that will last you for several months. But they're so wonderful, and they make me happy! There's been few days pass since then when I didn't have sparkles somewhere!


Oldies
I love music anyway, but what I really love is music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and only a little from 00's. I love the Mama's and the Papa's, Janis Joplin, the Temptations, all the girly music from the 80's. And I love 90's music. It's really when I learned who I was and got into music. And the stuff from the early 00's has such wonderful memories for me. When I was in high school I used to watch VH1 behind the music about all the classic stuff. I don't much care for most of the music that's around today. But thank goodness for the internet and the access I have to all the awesome stuff! Okay, I actually really like Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. I said it. I'm 12.


Getting My Hair CutI LOVE to have my hair cut by other people. I especially love it when they wash it. I don't like it in a dirty way, it just feels so good to have my head massaged, or to get my hair brushed by someone else but me. I'm pretty cheap and usually opt to trim or color my own hair. Every once in a while I will splurge and go to a salon. I do feel guilty spending money on something that seems so trivial and pointless. But it's not. It's wonderful!


Going Fast(This is NOT me)
Anyone who knows me is probably thinking, huh? Because generally, I go 4 mph. But I like to ride my bike fast. The faster the better! I go as fast as I can. Last summer I was trying to ride my bike to our church (10 miles down the highway). There is a huge hill about half way there. I didn't make it up the hill. About 2/3 of the way. I had to quit around mile 6 because I thought I was going to die. But when I turned around to come home, I coasted for the first three miles and it was awesome. If I remember correctly my top speed was 22 mph. Something about going that fast with the wind blowing, knowing that it's me that made me go so fast (or gravity and my large posterior). As long as I'm in control, I love it!

What are your guilty pleasures??


Since initially writing this I've come up with several others:

Burger King, Cheetos, Long Talks on the phone with a good friend, Raspberry Peach Snapple, Lunchables, Cheetos, Sausage Biscuits from McDonalds, Bacon, Phineas and Ferb, Snowcones, tater tots, Three Cheese Hamburger Helper, Aqua (everything but Barbie Girl), How I Met Your Mother, Everybody Loves Raymond and any other cheesy sitcom for that matter, Refrigerator Magnets, fried stuff, Double Stuf OREOS, Lay's Originals, Mowing the Lawn...

3 comments:

Kira said...

Ahem - you said Cheetos twice. But actually, they deserve 2 votes. Yummo! I think I may steal your idea here and do my own blog on it someday. But for commenting purposes I'll say that one of my biggest guilty pleasures is Pop Secret Jumbo Pop Butter Popcorn. Ahhhh...delish!
Oh, and anything chocolate mixed with peanut butter. :)

Matt and Jessie said...

Um, I have too many to pick. I will say Diet Coke with fresh lime. Heaven!

Sara said...

*Cheese!
*Cheetos! I agree, 2 votes are necessary!
*Reeses (or anything chocolate and PB!)
*Root Beer
*Panda Express!!!!!