29 August 2011

Liquid Hand Soap

So  it seems like today is the first day of school in most towns.  Somehow I found myself on a FB page for BYUI class of 2015. I gotta say, I want to go to school!  I love school shopping! I love pencils and paper and scissors and pens and paper clips and pretty much every school supply. So does Jake.  Which means sometimes we spend a lot of time on the pen aisle at Staples. Good times!

Okay, on to my current project!  In my efforts to be frugal and self sufficient and to earn my keep around here, I made hand soap. It was an interesting process.  My first batch didn't turn out. Even a little bit. But my second batch is great! So here's my process (Oh yeah, this is where I got the recipe):


First I started with a regular ol' bar of soap.


I used a vegetable peeler to peel and shred it down to bits.

Then add lots of water.

Then you add some Glycerin. This bottle was about $9. I got it at the Nature Store (?) in Rexburg. I'm betting any nature or whole food store wood have it. I only used a tablespoon of it, so it should last til just about forever. See my thumb in the picture to give it scale?  It's a good size bottle.


Then you heat it on the stove until your soap is dissolved in the water.  

Easy Shmeazy!

 And here is a picture of Porkchop. Somehow he was in the middle of all of these pictures on the camera. Isn't he cute?



Okay, so this batch didn't work. After reading through the comments on her original post, I determined it was because the Olay Body Bar is a moisturizing bar with very little actual soap in it. And lots of moisture. Er, something. Anyway. It turned out just like water. Or skim milk. Which to some people is water.  So I chucked it. I was  a little sad I had failed. But I tarried on to round two!

 Enter Dial. 

I got two of these bars at Kings in Afton. Did you know there still were Kings? I love that store. They have awesome toys. And clothes.  


Instead of using my vegetable peeler on this guy, I just attacked it with a knife.  Towards the end, I got really impatient, so there's lots of bigger chunks. They took a while longer to dissolve. So I would suggest taking your time to make sure they're small. So here's my cup of soap flakes.


I was worried about the smell of soap being too strong. So I threw in the remaining 1/4-1/2 cup of the Olay Body Bar flakes, which smelled really good.  I figured they didn't do anything helpful in the last batch, so they probably wouldn't do anything harmful in this batch. And  it was fine.   After adding the glycerin and water (I only used 9 Cups the second time), I cooked it forever til the soap dissolved.   It was still pretty thin. Some of the commenters on the original post said they let theirs sit overnight and it thickened. So I left it on the stove in the pot overnight to cool and thicken.  When I came out this morning, it was the consistency of snot. Bigger chunks and runny and gross. Seriously. So I got the hand mixer out  and mixed until it was a consistent texture.  I added about 10 drops of orange essential oil, but the orange still wasn't strong enough for me. I was a little worried because the oil is kind of expensive. So I ended up zesting an entire orange into the pot.  It smelled quite nice!

So then I funneled it into containers til I need it. I underestimated how much it would make.  About 130 ounces. Eek! That's a lot!  But I did use it, and I can seriously and honestly say that my hands are so soft and smooth, it's crazy. Usually soap dries them out so quick. But I think that glycerin is awesome!


My next project? Homemade laundry detergent!

Here's the recipe copied directly from Savvy Housekeeper.

Ingredients:
    1 c soap flakes 10 c water 1 Tbs glycerin

Equipment:

    Cheese grater A large pot Measuring cup and spoons A spatula for stirring A soap container with a hand pump A container to hold excess soap Funnel

Directions:

First, grate the soap. Get out your cheese grater, grab the soap, and get grating. I found this to be surprisingly easy, although the soap particles tend to float in the air as you grate. You can wear a mask to avoid breathing it in. When you’re done, the soap flakes look like grated Parmesan.

One bar of soap yielded a little over 1.5 cups of flakes. The recipe only uses one cup of soap flakes, so I put the remaining soap in a jar for later use.
In a large pot, combine 1 cup soap flakes, 10 cups water, and 1 Tbs glycerin. Turn on medium-low heat and stir until the soap dissolves. This happens fast, about a minute or two.
Let the soap cool completely, then pour into the containers using the funnel. That’s all there is to it!

3 comments:

Sara said...

That rocks Jenny!!! You are so frugal! I have got to try this!!

Brian and Krista said...

k wait, you use hand soap to make laundry detergent? have you actually used it yet? how did your clothes turn out?

Jenny said...

Actually, this is just liquid hand soap from a bar of soap. And it makes my hands really soft! I haven't tried laundry detergent yet. Soon though.